By Lee Ho-sung
Han Ui-seong, a sophomore major in Department of Civil Engineering said, “Last semester I drank soju almost every day except for two weeks; mid-terms and finals. Most of drinking was with seniors, some to enjoy mass blind dating and for club activities. Oh, now I remember that I was drunk the next day after a test because I screwed it up.”
As you see in the chart, it seems that universities in Korea have a relatively tolerant attitude toward drinking. Drinking is one of the useful ways to get closer with new people or reduce stress. But when we get drunk, we can easily have regrets. Throw up to on a best friend’s pants, call up an ex-girl friend or sleep in the streets and things like that. That is because when our brain is attacked by alcohol, it has trouble delivering signals between brain cells causing loss of judgment.
“It was a fine Sunday morning. I was on the subway to go home after partying heavily at the MT. When the subway arrived at my destination, I vomited everything out as soon as the doors opened. Although I threw up before I had gotten on the subway. Fortunately, there was no one to see it; you cannot imagine how terrible it was,” said Park Eui-do, a sophomore in major in Department of the Civil Engineering.
Why Does Mr.Hangover Bother Us?
After drinking like a fish, we suffer from a bad headaches, nausea or perhaps terrible diarrhea. Of course a few “lucky” people avoid these symptoms. Inevitably, for most people, the hangover is a big nightmare. Vomiting is one of the common symptoms of hangovers.
Korean soju is composed of ethanol and a small amount of unrefined methanol. Biologically, a reason for hangover is mainly two toxin substances. One is acetaldehyde produced by dehydration. Dehydration is the physical process that converts ethanol into a harmless substance for our protection. The other is unrefined methanol in soju. They stimulate the nervous system that causes vomiting, dizziness and heart palpitations.
Vomiting is one of the common symptoms of hangovers. Lee Jin-han, the medical journalist at the Donga Ilbo said,
“When we drink a lot of alcohol, our body should get ready for "The war". But the mucous membrane of the gullet and stomach, which have not been prepared for it, are injured by alcohol. During the alcohol passage through the stomach and intestines the intestines close quickly. Finally the vomiting happens due to the entrance between stomach and intestine being blocked.” As awful as it feels, sometimes vomiting is not so bad for you. It permits your body to quickly dispose of some of the alcohol in your system. But if you throw up repeatedly, the stomach is greatly damaged. You need to see a doctor.
How Can We Break up with Mr.Hangover?
The unpleasant visitor, a hangover visits anytime it wants. Prevention will save you better than any other thing. There is not enough to be said about this. Proper prevention will save you from the worst symptoms. It is simple. Just stick to these guidelines from the Korea Alcohol and Liquor Industry Association
|1. Do not go out on an empty stomach.
2. Do not over-drink.
3. Drink small quantities as slow as possible.
The moderating effect eating a meal will have on the absorption of alcohol into your bloodstream in the short term may be important. The reason why the food is so essential is because it will sop up the alcohol so that it does not all go directly into the bloodstream.
Empty a glass within high concentration alcohol at once causes bleeding on the gastric mucous membrane and damages your whole body. Drinking a glass at once, called ‘one-shot’ in Korea raises blood alcohol level sharply so palsies the central nerve and the respiratory center. Also doing ‘one-shot’ continuously brings unconsciousness due to brain damage. Before doing it, how about thinking of your body and brain for once?
Furthermore drink lots of water is also helpful. Dehydration is responsible for a major part of that hangover feeling. If you do not like water, that’s okay – try other beverage such as sports drinks containing low sugar. Drink at least two big glasses of it, whatever it is. Then you will be merry in the morning.
What is Your Style?
The National Tax Service announced that the average Korean adult drinks 72 bottles of soju every year. But even Koreans who drink a lot have misunderstandings about how to deal with hangovers. The following are what some college students’ choose as their favorite. Let’s look at their tips and medically inspect them with the help of Jun Woon-hyun at Neulseam Internal Medicine Clinic, a graduate of Department of the Pre-medicine at HYU.
“Whenever I’m hung over I am not worried. The cure comes from bean sprouts my mother cooks for me. Not only the aspartic acid, but also my mother’s love is the secret of recovery,” said Kim Sung-hak, a junior major in the Department of Urban Planning.
→ Bean sprouts are good for accompanying alcohol. It is rich in aspartic acid which is effective in warding off hangovers. Actually the aspartic acids just assist the metabolism of alcohol decomposing. They do not work on the alcohol directly as is generally thought. Anyway bean sprouts including your mother’s love might be an appropriate cure for a hangover.
“I am a poor drinker. My face becomes being red if I just drink three shots of soju. After taking a beverage which is being known as a cure for hangovers, the terrible headaches are gone. I believe it is effective. ” said Hwang Ji-ae, a junior in the Department of Nursing.
→ The alcohol-dissolving beverages that are currently on the market have not been tested scientifically. Moreover, we do not drink regularly like we eat meals; the amount of drinking depends on the situation so even the alcohol-dissolving beverage could work comparatively, we cannot presume how much of the beverages is needed.
“I usually eat instant noodles after over-drinking. Many people around me like using it. It could not be better than this!” said Kim Jung-ye, a junior in the Department of History and Contents at Sang Myung University.
→ It is just a temporary feeling that cannot have a material solution. Your stomach has been already hurt by alcohol and eating hot and spicy food is adding insult to injury. It will stimulate the injury so the condition could get worse. Choosing hot and spicy food just for better feelings should be avoided.
More than 75 percent of alcohol consumers have experienced a hangover at least once; 15 percent have one at least every month; and 25 percent of college students feel symptoms weekly. Hangover is a rite of passage to becoming a suitable drinker. To ease the pain and assist rapid recovery is simple. At the conclusion the doctor added, "Supporting the alcohol discomposing process, you should sleep soundly and take good nutrition including the three major nutrition, vitamins and minerals.”
Now the sweet spring has come to the campus and the new semester started. Some of the freshmen are also going to meet up with a hangover. But do not be afraid. To enjoy brutal hangovers sounds like a joke, to ease the pain just eat breakfast with rich vegetables. They will rehydrate your body and supply essential vitamins and minerals. Do not forget. MODERATE DRINKING is a virtue!